According to the International Shark Attack File maintained by the Florida Museum, just 66 confirmed attacks were recorded in 2018.
So, the chances of being attack by a shark is highly unlikely. However, it's always better to be prepared.
Shark expert and former Australian Navy clearance diver Paul de Gelder has some tips that may improve your chances of survival if you find yourself face-to-nose with a shark.
- Don’t Panic Around A Shark
- Try To Maintain Eye Contact With The Shark
- If A Shark Attacks, Fight Back
- If A Shark Has Bitten Your Arm, Keep It Over Your Head
- Whatever You Do, Try Not To Look At The Wound
Image: Getty Image