TSA is always working to improve airport security and make it easier on travelers. However, their latest technique is a little quirky. TSA Administrator David Pekoske said their new change will be to deploy more floppy ear dogs to sniff out explosives in public areas.
The Administrator felt like travelers found pointy ear dogs to be more intimidating.
"We find passenger acceptance of floppy-ear dogs is just better. It presents just a little bit less of a concern. Doesn't scare children." -David Pesoske
TSA currently uses seven different breeds of dogs including:
- German Shepherds (Pointy Ears)
- Labrador Retrievers (Floppy Ears)
- German Shorthaired Pointers (Floppy Ears)
- Wirehaired Pointers (Floppy Ears)
- Vizslas (Floppy Ears)
- Belgian Malinois (Pointy Ears)
- Golden Retrievers (Floppy Ears)
The TSA has over 900 K9 teams in use who work both with passengers in the airport and behind the scenes.
Do you agree with the TSA's thoughts? Are floppy ear dogs less intimidating?
Source: Los Angeles Times, Photos: Getty Images