St. Lucie County
- C.A. Moore Elementary 827 N 29th Street – Fort Pierce
- Floresta Elementary 1501 SE Floresta Drive – Port Saint Lucie
- Lakewood Park Elementary 7800 Indrio Road – Fort Pierce
- Morningside Elementary 2300 SE Gowin Road – Port St. Lucie
- Oak Hammock Elementary 1251 Sw California Blvd. – Port St. Lucie
- Parkway Elementary 7000 NW Selvitz Road – Port St. Lucie
- Treasure Coast High School 1000 SW Darwin Blvd. – Port St. Lucie
- West Gate K-8 1050 NW Cashmere Blvd. – Port St. Lucie
- Windmill Point Elementary 700 SW Darwin Boulevard. – Port St. Lucie
- Ft. Pierce Central High School 4101 S. 25th. St. – Ft. Pierce
- Samuel Gaines K-8 2250 S. Jenkins Road – Fort Pierce
- Westwood High School 1801 Panther Lane – Ft. Pierce
Special Medical Needs Shelters
- Havert L. Fenn Center 2000 Virginia Avenue.- Ft. Pierce
- Port St. Lucie Community Center 2195 SE Airoso Boulevard – Port St. Lucie
- Citrus Grove Elementary School 2527 SW Citrus Boulevard – Palm City
- Hidden Oaks Middle School 2801 SW Martin Highway – Palm City
- Jensen Beach High School 2875 NW Goldenrod Road – Jensen Beach/Stuart
- Felix Williams Elementary 401 NW Baker Road – Jensen Beach
- Port Salerno Elementary School 3260 SE Lionel Terrace – Stuart/Port Salerno
- Seawind Elementary School 3700 SE Seabranch Blvd. – Hobe Sound
- Warfield Elementary 15261 SW 150Th Street – Indiantown
- Indiantown Middle School 16303 SW Farms Rd. – Indiantown
Indian River County
- Fellsmere Elementary School 50 North Cypress Street – Fellsmere
- Sebastian Elementary School 400 County Road 512 – Sebastian
- Sebastian River Middle School 9400 County Road 512 – Sebastian
- Sebastian River High School 9001 90th Avenue – Sebastian
- Glendale Elementary School 4940 8th Street – Vero Beach
- J.A. Thompson Lifelong Learning Center 1110 18th Avenue SW – Vero Beach
- V.B.H.S. Freshman Learning Center 1507 19th Street – Vero Beach
- Gifford Middle School 4530 28th Court – Gifford
- Highland Elementary School 500 20th Street SW – Vero Beach
- Pelican Island Elementary School 1355 Schumann Drive – Sebastian
- Vero Beach High School 1707 16th Street – Vero Beach
- Oslo Middle School 480 20th Avenue SW – Vero Beach
Special Needs Shelter
- Treasure Coast Elementary 8955 85th Street – Sebastian
Pet Shelter Indian River
Indian River County has designated Liberty Magnet School at 6850 81st Street in Vero Beach as the county’s pet-friendly evacuation shelter. The Humane Society of Vero Beach & Indian River County has accepted the responsibility of helping manage this shelter.
“In the past when a hurricane threatened, families with pets had very few choices,” observes Ilka Daniel, HSVB & IRC’s Director of Protective Services. "When ordered to evacuate, pet owners typically would either flee the county with their pets in tow or sought refuge for themselves and their pets with friends living in non-evacuation areas."
Activating a pet-friendly shelter is a responsible alternative that enables entire families, pets and all, to safely remain together in times of disaster.
As with other evacuation shelters in the county, the pet-friendly shelter should be considered as “a shelter of last resort,” according to Daniel. We would like for you to consider other alternatives before you decide on the pet-friendly shelter.
To qualify for using the pet-friendly shelter, evacuees must meet certain requirements. First, they must reside in a mandatory evacuation area. Next, they must bring with them an animal crate large enough to comfortably accommodate bedding, a litter pan, and food/water. Finally, they are required to show proof of a current rabies vaccination and a county license for their pet, if applicable.
“Space in the pet-friendly shelter will be on a first-come-first-served basis,” says Etta LoPresti, Indian River County Emergency Management Coordinator. Completing the registration form prior to your arrival will make the check-in process easier and more efficient. If you have any questions, contact Ilka Daniel at www.hsvb.org or 772-571-6408.